Monday, July 12, 2010

A Special Week...







I have been wanting to write about this all week....

Last week was a special week for my family. On July 4th it marked 1 year since my mom passed away. 2 days later, on July 6th, it was my mom's 51st birthday. When 2 events like these happen in the same week, there is bound to be lots of emotions and reflection. As we watched the fireworks on the 4th of July while we all celebrated freedom, I also celebrated my mom's wonderful life. This past year has brought lots of memories of my mom...each holiday I thought about how I wished she were here. My mom loved to decorate, do flower arrangements, sew, draw, remodel, etc....I honestly can say I don't think there is anything my mom couldn't do. I remember her sewing dresses for school dances, sewing dresses for grandkids, making quilts and fuzzies for someone in the ward, doing flowers and decorations for weddings, designing blessing dresses, helping my mom put insulation on the roof before we got a new one, redoing kitchen cabinets, remodeling the bathroom, fixing cracks (I grew up in CA where there are earthquakes), and making the home I grew up in beautiful. I remember her fixing numerous pairs of Billy's pants.
I think the hardest part is the thought that she will not be here to see my sister get married, see future grandkids, and be a part of my life. I still have her phone number in my phone. My mom is a wonderful example of faith. She has a strong testimony of the gospel. She is always willing and ready to help anyone.

I don't think anyone is ever prepared to have someone pass away. But, I do know that Heavenly Father has a plan.

President Joseph Fielding Smith stated: “May I say for the consolation of those who mourn, and for the comfort and guidance of all of us, that no righteous man is ever taken before his time. In the case of the faithful Saints, they are simply transferred to other fields of labor. The Lord’s work goes on in this life, in the world of spirits, and in the kingdoms of glory where men go after their resurrection.” (Address given at the funeral of Elder Richard L. Evans, 4 November 1971, p. 1; see also Spencer W. Kimball, Faith Precedes the Miracle, pp. 103, 105.)


I miss her. I love her, but find comfort in the plan of salvation. I know that families can be together forever!
One of my sister's wrote a post about my mom. Although I cry every time I read the ending, it is beautiful:

"With regards to my mom's passing... as Becky Green so eloquently expressed in the eulogy that she gave at the funeral...

I am standing on the seashore...


A ship spreads her sails to the wind and starts for the ocean.


I stand watching her until she fades on the horizon and someone at my side says 'She is gone',


'Gone where?' I ask.
The loss of sight is in me, not her.

Just at the moment when someone said 'She is gone' there are others who are watching her coming.


Other voices take up the glad shout 'Here she comes'..."

We love you Mom!

3 comments:

MARTHA said...

Very nice Chelsea. Love you and look forward to seeing you next week.

lysh said...

You all have been so strong! I guess that's a testament of your faith in the plan of salvation. I love the pictures from this post! We love you guys!

Kyle and Jillian said...

I agree that there didn't seem to be anything your mom couldn't do. I was thinking about her as well. I'm glad you are dealing with her loss and I love your perspective. I especially love the quote. It is a good one to remember.