Thursday, September 2, 2010

Long Over Due...Preschool

I have a good friend who teaches preschool. She decided that she was going to go back to work and was able to get a job teaching Kindergarten at Noah Webster (the school I used to teach at). She already had students signed up for preschool and didn't want to leave them without a teacher. She asked me if I wanted to start my own preschool and take her students. I was really interested and this opportunity made starting my own preschool pretty easy...it was like being handed students without having to recruit. I really liked that.

After careful thought and prayer Billy and I decided that we would do it. I have my degree in education and teaching experience so it went pretty smooth getting it ready. Needless to say I'm teaching 3 and 4 year olds, not 1st graders. It a challenge coming up with a curriculum, themes, and schedule. My friend provided me with a lot of resources which was really helpful. I'm following the Gilbert School District calendar and have been teaching for 3 weeks now. I teach 2 days a week, only in the afternoons (12:30-3). It's not a lot of time, which works perfectly with being home with Ryan. A big determining factor in teaching preschool was Ryan. I wanted to be able to teach effectively without neglecting my students or Ryan. I have a good friend whose son comes to my preschool, which is great because she watches Ryan for me while I teach. I love having preschool in the afternoon because Ryan takes a nap for almost the entire time at my friend's house. It's working out really well so far. This year is a trial year to see if I want to keep doing it.

I'm grateful for this opportunity to teach children. I love watching my students as they learn their letters, sounds, sing songs, etc. They get so excited. It makes me feel good that I am able to be an influence and teacher in their lives, even if it's simply their time in preschool. It also provides a little extra income for our family. I'm grateful for Brooke who takes such good care of Ryan while I teach.



I wanted to take before and after pictures of our dining area, but forgot. Our home is pretty much part home, part preschool. I finally gave into this idea when I realized that our office wasn't going to suffice as a preschool room. Everything on the walls in this area came down...mirror, candle holders, family picture, and temple picture. I also had a beautiful glass cabinet that was my mom's that was moved into my bedroom.

This table to also gone....it's in the garage with an ad on craigslist.

The after shot...Hopscotch Preschool! I ordered a bigger table, but it didn't come in until this week, so I borrowed my friend's table.


Like many other preschools, my goal is for my students to learn all their letters, sounds, numbers, shapes, colors, and a few other things in between. It's only been 3 weeks...so far, so good...we'll see how the rest of the year goes!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

That is awesome!!! That would be so great, the whole set-up, everything. Good luck with your school and kids! How cool! :)

Brad and Hailey said...

I love your little preschool! So cute! Great job!

MARTHA said...

It looks like you got it together! Grandma Reynders (former preschool teacher) would be proud.